Where can I end a trip or park for free?
Parking with Gig feels like magic, but it actually runs on a series of complex agreements with different municipalities. Members can get parking tickets if they aren’t careful. To ensure the optimal Gig experience here are the rules for our service areas.
General Parking Guidelines
- You don’t need to return a Gig to the spot you picked it up from. Just begin and end trips in the Gig HomeZone.
- Traveling and parking outside the HomeZone is permitted; just lock the car instead of ending the trip and pay the meter or other parking fees.
- Valet parking is not permitted, only you are allowed to drive the Gig.
- We have partnered with some parking lots so our Gigs Members can start and end trips there. These lots are marked by a "P" symbol in the app. Please be sure to check for specific parking instructions by tapping on the "P".
- Parking garages typically have spotty cell service, so your Gig might not work and you might get stranded. Before you go, grab a Gig Card, which helps Members to communicate with their Gig car — even when there is no cellular service, or your phone is out of juice.
- Red zones within the HomeZone mean you can’t end your trip there. You can park and come back, just be sure to lock the car and feed the meter.
- Do not park in spaces that are designated (by name) for car companies other than Gig. You can park in non-brand specific car share parking spaces but you can not park in spaces designated for "Zipcar" or "Car2Go" for example.
- You will be held responsible for tickets or towing up to 12 hours of ending your trip. Avoid tickets by not parking:
- within 12 hours of street sweeping or other city service
- in handicap spots, bus lanes, loading, commercial, or construction zones
- in non-Gig approved private or public lots or parking garages, including BART parking lots (dedicated Gig spots at BART are ok).
- Basically if the curb is white, yellow, green, red or blue–you can't park there
Just treat the car like it’s your own. When in doubt, call Member Care, (800) 464‑0889.
Let's Get Specific
Oakland & Berkeley
You can park in any 2 hours (or more) public, residential permit, or metered space not otherwise restricted, within the HomeZone (the blue-shaded area in the app).
At BART, we have designated parking spaces at the Ashby, North Berkeley, Rockridge, Lake Merritt, MacArthur, and West Oakland stations. If they're all full, you'll have to find another legal curbside place to park off BART property.
We several parking lots in San Francisco and a HomeZone in the Richmond District. The private lots each operates a little differently, so view each lot's hours and restrictions before heading to pick up or drop off a car. You can find more information on when clicking on the “P” pin in the app.
In Albany, you have to end your trip in a non-metered spot. These spots are red zoned in the app to help you know where to park. Do not end trips in any spot less than 2-hour parking and don’t park within 12 hours of street sweeping or other city services.
Note: We're no longer at VIP Airport Parking
Starting July 29, 2021, Expresso Airport Parking is Gig's new parking lot for travel to and from the Oakland International Airport. It is located at 195 98th Avenue in Oakland. Look for a white sign that reads “Airport Parking” and “XO Expresso Airport Parking” at the entrance. It is located five minutes away from the terminals (by shuttle).
Enter the parking facility by driving in the entrance lane and push the button for a ticket. Find any open space in the parking lot and park. End your trip in the Gig app. Don’t forget to leave the ticket on the dashboard. Shuttle vans periodically circle between the parking lot and Oakland Airport. There are shuttle signs at the parking lot with pick-up times.
Please note: Gig trips that start or end at the OAK airport parking lot are charged a $5 fee. This fee will automatically be added at the end of your trip.
Seattle & Sea-Tac
Gigs can park in any legal 1 hour or longer parking spaces in the HomeZone, including metered spaces (not otherwise restricted). Residential-permitted spots are cool too. Beware of streets that turn into bus lanes. Don’t end your trip in a bus lane as you’ll be charged if the Gig gets towed and ticketed. 🚌
We also have parking at SEA-TAC airport, 18613 International Blvd., SeaTac, WA. A shuttle goes from WallyPark to the airport terminal. Take the elevator from the 5th floor (roof) to the ground floor and the shuttle picks up in front of the garage office to go to the airport. When arriving at the airport, go to the shuttle pickup areas and take the WallyPark Premier shuttle back to the garage. Head to the 5th floor, our cars are to the left. If you do not arrive at the WallyPark via its shuttle, show your Gig reservation to the parking attendant to be granted access to the parking garage. If you are planning to end your trip at Wally Park late at night, the parking attendant will direct you to end your trip in the retail parking lot in front of the garage.
Sea-Tac Airport: A fee of $19.99 is added to trips that start or end at the Sea-Tac WallyPark HomeZone.
Sacramento & West Sacramento
Gigs can be parked in any legal 1 hour or longer parking space in the HomeZone, including metered spaces (not otherwise restricted). Residential-permitted spots are cool — however, for Sacramento, if the time zone sign is green and one hour or more, you're in the clear. If it's a red sign, you can't park there.
Any one hour or longer parking spot if it is a:
- Metered parking spot, or
- Time zone parking spot, and
- Residential permitted spot, marked with a green sign (but not a B-Zone)
- Not otherwise restricted by street sweeping or other city service
- For Sacramento, Gig parking is allowed in the Amtrak train station parking lot
- No 15-minute or 30-minute meters (no metered spots under one hour).
- No yellow, red, blue, green parking spots (i.e., no restricted zones such as loading, handicapped, events, parking lots, private spaces).
- Don’t park in red or B-Zone residential-permitted spaces; check the signs.
- No parking within 12 hours of city services like street sweeping, street closures, or other posted restrictions.
- No parking in private parking lots (excludes the REI Sacramento mini HomeZone).
Note: Gigs must return to their original HomeZone.
We have designated parking at Sacramento State — check out the lots parked with a P pin. For the garage, Parking Structure #5, park on the roof.