Where can I end a trip or park for free?
Parking with Gig feels like magic, but it actually runs on a series of complex agreements with different municipalities. Members can get parking tickets if they aren’t careful. To ensure the optimal Gig experience here are the rules for our service areas.
General Parking Guidelines
- You don’t need to return a Gig to the spot you picked it up from. Just begin and end trips in the Gig's original HomeZone.
- Stopovers outside the HomeZone are permitted, but you pay any parking fees.
- Valet parking is not permitted, only you are allowed to drive the Gig.
- Parking garages often have spotty cell service, so you might get stranded. Bring your Gig card in to avoid this.
- There are red zones within the HomeZone, you won’t be able to end your trip. You can do a “Stopover,” just be sure to feed the meter.
- You will be held responsible for tickets or towing up to 12 hours of ending your trip. Avoid tickets by not parking:
- within 12 hours of street sweeping
- in handicap spots, bus lanes, loading, commercial, or construction zones
- in non-Gig approved private or public lots or parking garages, including BART stations
- Basically if the curb is white, yellow, green, red or blue–you can't park there
Just treat the car like it’s your own. When in doubt call Member Care, (800) 464‑0889.
Let's Get Specific
Oakland & Berkeley
You can park in any 2 hour + public, residential permit, or metered space not otherwise restricted, within the HomeZone (the blue-shaded area in the app).
We have designated parking spaces at Ashby, North Berkeley, Rockridge, Lake Merritt, MacArthur, and West Oakland BART stations. If they're all full, you'll have to find another legal curbside place to park off BART property.
We several parking lots in San Francisco and a HomeZone in the Richmond District! The private lots each operates a little differently, so view each lot’s hours and restrictions before heading to pick up or drop off a car.
Note: We're no longer at OAK Park 'N Fly.
There is designated Gig parking at Oakland Airport in the VIP Airport Parking lot, at 50 Access Rd, Oakland, CA 94603.
Enter the VIP Airport Parking lot and park in the reserved Gig parking spaces on the right. End your trip and let the attendant in the VIP Airport Parking office know that you need a shuttle to drop you off.
To pick up a Gig, locate and reserve your Gig, then call VIP Airport Parking at +1-510-430-1682 to request a shuttle pick up. The shuttle picks up passengers from all terminals at the F curb.
Seattle & SEA-TAC
Gigs can park in any legal 1 or more hour space in the HomeZone, including metered spaces (not otherwise restricted). Residential-permitted spots are cool too. Beware some parking lanes turn into bus lanes and Gigs get towed and ticketed, don't end your trip in a bus lane. 🚌
We also have parking at SEA-TAC airport, 18613 International Blvd., SeaTac, WA. A shuttle goes from Wally Park to the airport terminal, take the elevator from the 5th floor (roof) to the ground floor and the shuttle picks up in front of the garage office to go to the airport.
Sacramento & West Sacramento
Gigs can be parked in any legal space that permits parking for one hour or more in the HomeZone, including metered or time zone spaces that allow one hour or more parking and are not otherwise restricted. The general rule is, if the parking sign is green for one hour or more, you're in the clear. If it's red, you can't park there.
Any one hour or longer parking spot if it is a:
- Metered parking spot, or
- Time zone parking spot, and
- Residential permitted spot, marked with a green sign (but not a B zone)
- Not otherwise restricted
- No 15-minute or 30-minute meters (no metered spots under one hour).
- No yellow, red, blue, green parking spots (i.e., no restricted zones such as loading, handicapped, events, parking lots, private spaces).
- Don’t park in red or B zone residential-permitted spaces, check the signs.
- No parking within 12 hours of city services like street sweeping, street closures, or other posted restrictions.
- No parking in private parking lots (i.e., Amtrak or Sacramento train station parking lot).
Note: Gigs must return to their original HomeZone.
We have designated parking at Sacramento State, on the top floor of Parking Structure 5. Just look for the Gig signs. If those spots are filled, you can park in the near by vanpool/commuter spots.
As always, when in doubt call Member Support: (800) 464‑0889