How It WorksUsing Gig is simple. Just find a car, unlock, inspect, and go. No need to return the car to the same spot. Simply leave Gig in any approved parking space in the HomeZone and boom—you’re done. All Gigs must begin and end trips in their original HomeZone.
1 Sign UpDownload the app, scan your license and credit or debit card, and take a selfie. Approval takes less than five minutes. Sign up is free, but we do a $50 hold to verify funds (it drops off in a few business days).
2 Find a CarUse the app to see available cars nearby. Book up to 30 minutes in advance, or just walk up to a car on the street. If the windshield light is green, it’s up for grabs.
3 UnlockUnlock a car right from your smartphone or using the Gig Card. Make sure you have bluetooth enabled for best results when using your phone.
4 Hit the RoadNo key! Just put your foot on the brake and push the “Power” button and drive. You can go anywhere in the U.S. for as short or long as you want. Make a stopover by choosing “Stopover” to get out of the car without giving it up.
5 Park EasilyPark for free in any Gig-designated, residential, or permit‑only spots within the HomeZone. Do not park within 12-hours of street sweeping, in any no-parking zone, or in commercial or loading zones. Check out our parking rules before you go.
6 Always AffordableOnly pay for what you use at whichever rate is lowest—by minute, hour, or day. Gas/charging, insurance, and parking in the HomeZone are all included.
Important to know – really!Wander far, but be prepared Gig needs to talk to your phone. If there’s low cell service, or your phone battery dies, this conversation can get interrupted — or not happen at all! So, before venturing into areas with spotty reception, be sure to do one or both of the following:
- Get a Gig Card, which will always be able to lock/unlock your Gig, no matter the cell service or battery life on your phone. Request one in the app today.
- Turn on Bluetooth. This will allow your phone to connect directly to the car quicker — without requiring cell service.
- Pay for the fuel out-of-pocket.
- Snap a picture of the receipt.
- Send the receipt photo to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicate your Gig email so we can look you up, or submit your receipt info here.
Watch Gig's tutorial video to learn more. How to Put a Bike on the Rack.
- Grab the bike rack key from the glove box.
- Rotate the side arm all the way forward, press the grey trigger, and slide the hook all the way out.
- Put your bike in the wheel tray with front wheel touching support loop.
- Hold the bike and raise the arm near the brake or fork.
- Slide the hook down tightly against the wheel. WARNING: The arm must be firm against the tire, near the brake or fork. Give the bike a good shake to make sure it’s secure.
- Position the ratcheting strap over the rear tire and secure.
Remember, when bikes are on board, be careful when clearance is less than 9'.