What is Gig?
How does Gig work?
- handicap spot
- no-parking spot
- private or city lot
- any place with street sweeping, city services, or events in the next 12 hours.
- Sacramento residential spaces with red signs (if the street signs are red, keep looking).
What kind of cars do I get to drive?
How do I sign up?
What is a Gig Card?
How do I contact Gig?
What fees do I pay?
What is a Gold Discount?
What is included?
What if I have a lost or found item?
What is Bluetooth and how does it lock and unlock my Gig?
Who can join?
- at least 18 years old
- have a valid debit or credit card
- have a valid driver's license issued by a state in the U.S. that has not been suspended, revoked, expired, surrendered, withdrawn, or otherwise invalidated for any reason
- have a driving history that meets our requirements, which include not having major driving infractions.
Can I join if my driver’s license is from outside of U.S.?
I have a prior violation on my license. Can I still join and use Gig?
What do I do if I need roadside assistance?
What do I do if I get into an accident or there is an emergency situation?
Can I refer friends?
I have a promo code—what is this?
Are there special rewards for AAA Members?
How It Works
How do I reserve Gig?
Where can I find a car?
What do the lights on the windshield reader mean?
- Green means the car is available
- Orange means the car is reserved.
- To lock the car, hold the Gig Card on the reader until the light turns blue, then green. This takes approximately 10 seconds.
Can I bring my pets, eat and/or smoke in the cars?
Is Gig equipped for kids?
What is the HomeZone?
Are there surcharges on long trips and how long can I keep the Gig?
How do I unlock and start the Gig?
How do I end my trip?
Why can’t I end my trip?
- You’re trying to end the trip outside of the Gig's original HomeZone or outside a HomeZone entirely.
- A door or the trunk might be open.
- The car isn’t turned off.
The lights on the Gig Card windshield reader are off. What does this mean?
What if the car is damaged or dirty?
Can someone else drive during my reservation?
What type of operating system does Gig work best with?
How do the bike racks work?
Help. I'm in the car and it has locked itself, but I haven't even started it yet!
Can I play my own music and charge my phone?
What happens if I get pulled over? How do I show proof of insurance?
Can I use Gig if I don’t have a smartphone?
Do I have to refuel?
Where can I park?
- 2+ hour parking in Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda and Albany
- Public, residential permit and metered street spots are fine. Public lots are not.
In Sacramento you can park in any legal street parking spot (not red, blue, yellow, or posted with other restrictions) that permits parking for 1 hour or longer. Check the street signs, if the signs are red you need a new spot, if they're green you're good to go!
- Designated spots in San Francisco and BART station parking lots.
- If you’re taking Gig and parking it in a private, off-street parking area like a driveway, an underground garage, office building, mall, or apartment complex, you must choose “Park and Come Back” in the app. You can’t end your trip in these restricted access areas.
- Mind the curb, if it's red, yellow, blue, green, or white don't park there. You also can't end trips in private or public parking lots (unless we have designated parking).
- Some areas are Red Zoned, you can't end a trip there. If you're parked near a Red Zone sometimes the app won't let you end a trip and you have to call Member Support.
- Electric Gigs (green pins) can't end trips outside the Sacramento HomeZone.
Do I have to return the car to the location where I picked it up?
Can I park at the airport?Note: Starting on 5/27/20, Gigs will no longer be able to start or end trips at OAK Park N' Fly. We believe this will be temporary and will update this page as soon as things change.
To drop off a Gig, follow direction to OAK Park ‘N Fly: 82 98th Ave, Oakland, CA 94603. Enter the main Park ‘N Fly entrance, take a ticket from the machine, and place it in the cup holder for the next Member. Turn left to park in the reserved Gig parking spaces. End your rental and wait for the Park ’N Fly shuttle to pick you up next to the Gig.
To pick up a Gig, locate and reserve your Gig before boarding the Park ’N Fly shuttle. The shuttle picks up passengers from all terminals at the 4E curb. Alert the Park ’N Fly driver you’re getting a Gig car and you’ll be dropped off at the Gig section. Proceed to the exit and present the ticket in the cup holder to the cashier to leave the lot. Don't worry, you won't be charged for this ticket.We do not have spaces at SFO or SMF yet.
Can I park at BART stations?
What if there is a ticket on the car before I start my reservation?
What if there is a ticket on the car before I start my reservation?We’ll cross-reference the time to make sure. Just do us a favor and stick the ticket in the glove box and give us a call to let us know it's there on (800) 464-0889 or via the Member Support button in the app.
How much does Gig cost?
- Per Minute: $0.40 (up to $15)
- Per Hour: $15.00 (for trip up to 6 hours)
- Per Day: $85.00
- Minimum charge per trip: $2.50
- Surcharge over 250 miles per trip: $0.45/mile
What fees do I pay?
What if I incur a fine, violation, or other administrative charge during my trip?
Do I have to pay tolls?
What other fees and charges should I be aware of?
- Lost car documents: $20
- Declined credit or debit card fee: $25
- Excessive cleaning: $100
- Smoking in car: $100
- Unauthorized parking: $100
- Towed vehicles: $150 + tow fees
- Unlocked car: $100
- Drained battery: $100
- Unauthorized use of car by Third Party: $150
- Abandoned car: $50 + $5/mile outside of the car's specific HomeZone
- Electric Gigs can only end trips in the Sacramento HomeZone
- Hybrid Gigs can end trips in any HomeZone
- Parking and driving violation tickets: face value of tickets
- Surcharge after 250 miles driven in one trip: $0.45/mile
- All fees subject to $25 processing fee and taxes