What is Gig?
How does Gig work?
- handicap spot
- no-parking spot
- private lot
- any place with street sweeping in the next 12 hours.
What kind of car is Gig?
How do I sign up?
What is a Gig Card?
How do I contact Gig?
What fees do I pay?
What is a Gold Discount?
What is included?
What if I have a lost or found item?
What is Bluetooth and how does it lock and unlock my Gig?
Who can join?
- at least 18 years old
- have a valid debit or credit card
- have a valid driver's license issued by a state in the U.S. that has not been suspended, revoked, expired, surrendered, withdrawn, or otherwise invalidated for any reason
- have a driving history that meets our requirements, which include not having major driving infractions.
Can I join if my driver’s license is from outside of U.S.?
I have a prior violation on my license. Can I still join and use Gig?
What do I do if I need roadside assistance?
What do I do if I get into an accident or there is an emergency situation?
Can I refer friends?
I have a promo code—what is this?
Are there special rewards for AAA Members?
How It Works
How do I reserve Gig?
Where can I find a car?
What do the lights on the windshield reader mean?
- Green means the car is available
- Orange means the car is reserved.
- To lock the car, hold the Gig Card on the reader until the light turns blue, then green. This takes approximately 10 seconds.
- If you are ending your trip you must do so from the app. It it’s just a stop over you can use your Gig Card to lock the car.
Are pets allowed?
Is food allowed?
Is smoking allowed?
Is Gig equipped for kids?
What is the HomeZone?
Are there surcharges for taking a longer trip?
How long can I keep the car?
How do I unlock and start the Gig?
How do I make a stopover?
How do I end my trip?
Why can’t I end my trip?
- You’re trying to end the trip outside of the HomeZone.
- A door or the trunk might be open.
- The car isn’t turned off.
The lights on the Gig Card windshield reader are off. What does this mean?
What if the car is damaged or dirty?
Can someone else drive during my reservation?
What type of operating system does Gig work best with?
How do the bike racks work?
Help. I'm in the car and it has locked itself, but I haven't even started it yet!
Can I play my own music and charge my phone?
What happens if I get pulled over? How do I show proof of insurance?
Can I use Gig if I don’t have a smartphone?
Do I have to refuel?
Where can I park?
- 2+ hour parking in Oakland and Berkeley, public, residential permit and metered spots are fine.
In Sacramento you can park in any legal spot (not red, blue, yellow, or posted with other restrictions) that permits parking for 1 hour or longer.
- Designated spots in San Francisco and BART station parking lots
- If you’re taking Gig and parking it in a private, off-street parking area like a driveway, an underground garage, office building, mall, or apartment complex, you must choose “Park and Come Back” in the app. You can’t end your trip in these restricted access areas.
Where can't I park?
- Check street signs, if your Gig gets a street sweeping ticket within 12 hours of your reservation you will be held responsible.
- Check red zones in the app before ending your reservation.
- Other restricted parking spaces such as vanpool, handicapped parking, designated numbered spaces, or loading zones. That is, no green zones, red zones, or yellow zones.
- Some underground or concrete parking structures have very low cell service and you might not be able to lock/unlock the car without a RFID Gig card. So it’s best to avoid that unless you’re prepared with a card.
Do I have to return the car to the location where I picked it up?
Can I park at the airport?
To drop off a Gig, follow direction to OAK Park ‘N Fly: 82 98th Ave, Oakland, CA 94603. Enter the main Park ‘N Fly entrance, take a ticket from the machine, and place it in the cup holder for the next Member. Turn left to park in the reserved Gig parking spaces. End your rental and wait for the Park ’N Fly shuttle to pick you up next to the Gig.
To pick up a Gig, locate and reserve your Gig before boarding the Park ’N Fly shuttle. The shuttle picks up passengers from all terminals at the 4E curb. Alert the Park ’N Fly driver you’re getting a Gig car and you’ll be dropped off at the Gig section. Proceed to the exit and present the ticket in the cup holder to the cashier to leave the lot. Don't worry, you won't be charged for this ticket.We do not have spaces at SFO or SMF yet.
Can I park at BART stations?
What if there is a ticket on the car before I start my reservation?
What if there is a ticket on the car before I start my reservation?We’ll cross-reference the time to make sure. Just do us a favor and stick the ticket in the glove box and give us a call to let us know it's there on (800) 464-0889 or via the Member Support button in the app.
How much does Gig cost?
- Per Mile: $2.50 (for trips under 6 miles)
- Per Hour: $15.00 (for trip up to 6 hours)
- Per Day: $85.00
- Minimum charge per trip: $2.50
- Park and come back on short trips less than 1 hour: $0.30/minute
- Surcharge over 250 miles per trip: $0.45/mile
What fees do I pay?
What if I incur a fine, violation, or other administrative charge during my trip?
Do I have to pay tolls?
What other fees and charges should I be aware of?
- Lost car documents: $20
- Declined credit or debit card fee: $25
- Excessive cleaning: $100
- Smoking in car: $100
- Unauthorized parking: $100
- Towed vehicles: $150 + tow fees
- Unlocked car: $100
- Drained battery: $100
- Unauthorized use of car by Third Party: $150
- Abandoned car: $50 + $5/mile outside of HomeZone
- Parking and driving violation tickets: face value of tickets
- Surcharge after 250 miles driven in one trip: $0.45/mile
- All fees subject to $25 processing fee and taxes