Your first Gig Car trip
Everything you need to know for your first Gig trip.
1. Get the app.
First things first. Download the app for Android or iOS. It's how you'll unlock the cars, see where cars are available, and more!
2. Complete app registration
Grab your payment card and drivers license. You'll need about 5 minutes to fill out all the important deets. We will ask for your license information, address, and all that good stuff. Note: at this point, there will be a *temporary* $50 hold placed on your card. We pinky-swear that it is temporary and will be released in 24-74 hours, depending on your bank. (It'll be worth it!)
3. Take your first trip!
Once you've submitted your license and payment info, you'll be approved to drive! Now it's time to take your first trip.
You're in! Where will you go? Simply open your app, and find the Gig closest to you. Drive to the hardware store, the beach, San Francisco, Rancho Cucamonga... technically anywhere in the U.S.! You'll just need to return it to the original HomeZone when you're done.
4. End your trip
Just hit END YOUR RESERVATION on the app, or tap your Gig Card on the windshield reader until it turns green. That’s it. Really.
Where can I park?
Get out, come back. Want to get out of the car without ending your trip? Make a stopover. Just hit PARK AND COME BACK on the app. You can make a stopover anywhere, even outside the HomeZone.
Park for free in the HomeZone at two-hour or more public, metered, and residential permit spaces in the Bay Area.
In Sacramento parking is allowed at unrestricted residential permit or metered spots at least one hour spots. If the street sign is red you can't park there, if it's green you're good to go!
No need to feed the meter! Just don’t park within 12 hours of street sweeping, avoid construction zones and handicap spots.
BART stations. Look for dedicated parking spaces reserved for Gig cars at BART stations within the HomeZone.
There are also satellite HomeZones, such as at the Oakland Airport Park 'N Fly lot, and several parking lots in San Francisco.
How does pricing work?
- Less than an hour. Gig in the Bay Area is $2.50/mile. So if you're one mile from work, you only pay $2.50. In Sacramento we charge $0.40/minute for short trips.
- Between 1 and 6 hours. The rate is $15/hour.
- 6 - 24 hours. This is our day rate at $85/day. No extra charges for mileage unless you exceed 250 miles.
If I "park and come back," do I pay for that time?
Yes, the clock will continue to run during that time. But you can rest easy knowing that the Gig is out waiting for you. 😀
What else should I know?
- We currently have Golden Gigs (marked by gold pins on the app) that will give you 10% discount on trips under an hour and less than six miles. Hurry and grab one before your neighbor does!
- If you see a gold area in the app and you end your trip there you'll get $5 toward future trips! How fun is that?
- Be sure to grab a phone charger, avoid the anxiety of having a low-battery while adventuring in your Gig.
- We have Gigs in Sacramento and the Bay Area, two distinctly different HomeZones. Right now Bay Area Gigs can't end trips in the Sacramento HomeZone, and vice versa. Just return your car to its home HomeZone. That's where it lives.
- Furry friends are 100 percent welcome, but they need to be in carriers to avoid excessive pet hair and clean up costs.
- GIG Car Share is a product from AAA and provides basic insurance coverage to our members. In the unfortunate incident of an accident in which our member is at-fault that member is responsible for up to $750 in damages or $250 for AAA members. If the incident is particularly negligent (driving while under the influence or committing crimes) GIG Car Share has the legal right to pursue full damages from the member. So don't use our cars as getaway vehicles in your big jewel heist. Familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions of our member agreement, so we avoid any nasty surprises.
- We have a fantastic customer car team ready and waiting to take your call. Anytime reach out for the help you need (800) 464-0889.