Self Help –
My Gig is showing a ‘Key not detected’ error.
Lock your car and unlock it again using your app or Gig Card. If that doesn’t work, give us a call.
What is this $15/$50 charge from Gig on my bank/credit card account?
We put a $50 hold on your account when you enter a payment card to verify funds. This verification charge will be lifted from your account within one to 48 hours, depending on your financial institution. We put a $15 hold on your account when you start a reservation to verify your card is up-to-date and valid. You should see these pre-authorizations drop off your account within one to seven business days, depending on your financial institution.
Where can I park?
You can park and end trips in almost any approved space in the Gig’s original HomeZone.
- 2+ hour parking in Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda, and Albany
- Public, residential permit, and metered street spots are fine. Public lots are not.
- Designated spots in San Francisco, and BART station parking lots.
- If you’re taking a Gig and parking it in a private, off-street parking area — like a driveway, an underground garage, office building, mall, or apartment complex — you must choose “Park and Come Back” in the app. You can’t end your trip in these restricted-access areas.
- Mind the curb; don’t park there if it's red, yellow, blue, green, or white. You also can't end trips in private or public parking lots (unless we have designated parking).
- Some areas are Red Zoned, meaning you can't end a trip there. If you're parked near a Red Zone, sometimes the app won't let you end your trip and you’ll have to call Member Support.
What fees am I responsible for when using Gig?
There are no signup fees, membership fees, or annual charges for using Gig. You only pay for your use of the car.
- You are responsible for any tolls on your trip, but we’ll automatically calculate and add them to your account the following week. When you sign up, we verify your credit or debit card with a pre-authorization amount of up to $100.
- When you start a reservation, we place a pre-authorization hold on your credit or debit card of up to $50 to ensure your card is up-to-date and valid. These pre-authorization holds will be lifted from your account within 24 to 72 hours, depending on your bank.
- There are some instances in which you may be charged additional fees (like if you smoke in the car), which you can find on the Rates page, and in detail in the Member Agreement.
Can I join if my driver’s license is from outside of the U.S.?
Even with a foreign driver's license, you are more than welcome to continue your registration. Due to our insurance regulations, we will need you to send the following items for review:
- A copy of your international driver’s permit and current foreign license, or a copy of your international driver's license.
- A copy of your driving history (in English and dated) from the entity that issued your driver's license.
Who can join?To join Gig, you must be:
- At least 18 years old.
- Have a valid debit or credit card (not prepaid).
- Have a valid driver's license issued by a state in the U.S. that has not been suspended, revoked, expired, surrendered, withdrawn, or otherwise invalidated for any reason.
- Have a driving history that meets our requirements, which include not having major driving infractions.
Where can I park my Gig outside the main HomeZone?
You can park in any legal spot, but you can’t end your trip and if it’s metered or paid parking you’re responsible for the cost. We have free parking lots at popular destinations surrounding our main HomeZones, like the Oakland International Airport, the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, and several lots in San Francisco. You’ll see them marked as blue "pins" in the app.
Can I take a Gig for several days in a row?
Gig rentals are pay-as-you-go, so use the Gig as long as you need and return it when you’re done. However, you can do prepaid, Multi-day Rentals for trips of three, five, seven, or even 30 days. Pricing and days available vary depending on your HomeZone.
How do I purchase a Multi-day Rental?You can purchase them from the app by clicking on the “$” icon on the map.
Do I have to refuel after my trip?
<span">Short answer – yes, please leave the Gigs with enough fuel for the next Members, but you don’t have to pay for it!
- Pay for the fuel out-of-pocket.
- Snap a picture of the receipt.
- Send the receipt photo to [email protected], include the email you use for Gig so we can look you up, or submit your receipt info here.
- We’ll reimburse you for the fuel cost either by refunding your trip, giving you Gig credits, or sending you a check.
How do I get my refund for what I spend on fuel?
We’ll start processing the reimbursement via a refund to your card on file within three business days, though the bank may take up to five days to complete the process. If there’s not enough to refund we’ll offer Gig Credits or send you a check. Don’t want to pay out-of-pocket? Locate the gas card in the glove box and call Member Support at (800) 464‑0889 for the PIN.
I’ve lost or found something in a Gig.
Contact us to report a lost item, and we’ll do our best to help you locate it. Find something left behind by someone else? Stick it in the glove box or trunk, and let us know using the in-app Member Support button, or call (800) 464‑0889. We do our best to keep your belongings safe, but we can’t be responsible for any items that are lost or stolen from our cars.
Does Gig offer a subscription plan?
We offer a $14.99 subscription to waive the $1 unlock fee. If you are looking for a discounted flat rate for multiple days, visit our Multi-day Rentals page for more information.
Still need help? Get almost-instant support through text messages, Facebook Messenger or Twitter.”